Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Rhubarb crumble

Rhubarb season has finally started and nobody is happier than me. I LOVE rhubarb. Love how the fantastic combination of sweet and sour tickles your tongue, how the green and red colors of the stems melt into each other and how it seems to have summer written all over it.

I spied my first rhubarb of the year yesterday (yay!), bought it and turned it into a rhubarb crumble this morning. I used a recipe that I have been using for several years, but being a scientist, experimented a bit with the ingredients. The outcome was tested on 4 moms who, after some rhubarb induced tongue twisting, face bending and eye twinkling, judged it "very good". I agree, this might not be a good indicator, given that the English are generally very polite but 3 of the girls asked for the recipe AND that I count as a sign that they really liked it. If you find it sounds mouth watering you are lucky. I am in sharing mood.  Give it a try, hopefully you like it as well and it is easy as...well...pie. Here you go:


The topping

1.5dl (150ml) white flour
 1.5 dl (150ml) oat meal
 2 table spoons sugar
125g butter, diced

and my additions:
hand full Macademia nuts, crushed
1/3 bar white chocolate, crushed


The filling

500g rhubarb, sliced
1dl sugar (I took less!)
1 tablespoon corn starch


 Preheat oven to 225C

For the filling
grease oven proof dish with butter
mix rhubarb, sugar and starch and put it in the oven proof dish

For the topping

Mix all ingredients with your hands or a machine until you get crumbles. Put it on top of the filling and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top of the crumble is golden and crisp. Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream (or something else vanilla-ish).

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment